Thursday, January 23, 2020

How we made cushions for our fire truck camper


Making the cushions for the camper was always one of my bigger worries. I had never made cushions or a mattress before in my life nor had I ever used a sewing machine. Therefore I dreaded the work.
Eventually it was time to put the cushions into the crew cabin to be able use the truck more. I bit the bullet and ordered fabric and foam to get the work done.

One of my other worries is cutting foam pieces. I hate doing that as it usually does not turn out straight in any direction. So I made sure to order the foam pieces already cut to the size we needed. When I unpacked the foam the disappointment was the bigger, when I saw that the foam was delivered only as the raw 200x60x15cm blocks. In my first panic I ran down into the basement to weld a fixture to guide the knife straight. After the first few welding points the Argon gas from the welder was empty and as usual in such situations it was at the time when all stores were closed. So I gave up on that Idea.
The next idea was to simply use a metal guide to make sure the knife did not run out in any directions. That actually worked quite well. But see for yourself in the video, how we finally made the camper cushions for the crew cabin of Red.


No comments: