Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Off Topic: Repair of the EGR valve on a 2006 Mercedes Vito

Besides Red, the firetruck we also have a Mercedes Vito to tow our former vacation vehicle, the old Tabbert caravan. If Red turns out as I hope it will be, the Tabbert will go.
So today's topic is not about Red or the Tabbert. Today I wanted to explain a little bit about a small repair I did on the Vito. Since our summer vacation the check engine light on the Vito had come on in irregular intervals, at which times the computer only allowed limp mode with little engine power. At first I thought, it was due to the extreme heat we had last summer, since the first few times the light came on, it was extremely hot in situations where the air cooling of the engine compartment was little. But after a few weeks the check engine light also came on, when it was colder. But luckily it got reset every time we shut the engine off and typically we could drive normally again after that. But finally a few weeks ago, the check engine light came on pretty much every longer drive we took with the Vito and it got annoying. Therefore I used the first day with spring like temperature to take a look at the EGR, which I knew, was the reason for the warning. Unfortunately the EGR is mounted quite far into the engine compartment on this model of Vito. In my opinion as an irregular car mechanic, it is quite difficult to get to. Therefore I was cursing out the engineers of this car, in my initially futile attempt to remove the EGR from the engine. The main issue was that the EGR was baked in quite solid. pulling on it didn't move it a bit it is also difficult to pry it out with a screwdriver, since it is hard to get any tools into that small room inside the engine compartment and move the EGR. There is a small lip on the bottom right (looking at the engine from the front) of the EGR. Since my first attempts to remove the EGR were not quite successful, I resorted to search engines and tutorial videos. To my surprise there was not really much online, that was really useful for the Vito. There was a russian guy who simply loosed the screw and started the engine and the EGR was flying out of the engine. I didn't have that luck. I even drove the car without the holding screws of the EGR up to the Dobel mountain, but the EGR didn't budge a bit. Another guy showed how to remove the EGR on a Sprinter. That didn't help me much, since the EGR of that Sprinter was completely different and also a lot easier to access. So eventually I had to come up with my own idea, which was quite simple, once you know it.

One can simply pry out the EGR on the vito by using a 10mm long allen wrench that is hooked under the EGR with the long side and with the short side of the allen wrench facing forward in an angle towards you. Over the short end of the allen wrench a piece of steel pipe can be used which can be tapped by a hammer. This little special tool removed the EGR out of my vito quite easily.
See for yourself:

No comments: